Nearly 30 transgender people in this year alone have returned to the non-physical realm in daring and courageous ways in support of the transgender community. I’m thrilled with the progress they have contributed to the community and the world at large, as more people realize the need to further embrace transgender people. It’s been a little over a week since the Transgender Day of Remembrance. So it’s apt to recall these people.
It seems tragic to think these 30 people “lost” their lives. However, death is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. Nor is dying at the hands of a murderer. This is hard to get, but a broader perspective will show that all 30 of these gallant, courageous people traded a relatively minor experience (from the perspective of the eternal, powerful beings we are) in order to trigger greater change in physical reality.
So it is from that perspective that we honor these people by listing them here on our site. They have done a LOT to make most of what is happening in society possible.
To them we say thanks!
- India Monroe, 29, was murdered on Dec. 21, 2016 in Newport News, Virginia
- Mesha Caldwell, 41, Canton, Mississippi
- Sean Ryan Hake, 23, Sharon, Pennsylvania
- Jamie Lee Wounded Arrow, 28, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- JoJo Striker, 23, Toledo, Ohio
- Tiara Richmond, also known as Keke Collier, 24, Chicago
- Chyna Gibson, also known as Chyna Doll Dupree, 31, New Orleans
- Ciara McElveen, 26, New Orleans
- Jaquarrius Holland, 18, Monroe, Louisiana
- Alphonza Watson, 38, Baltimore, Maryland
- Chay Reed, 28, Miami
- Kenneth Bostick, 59, Manhattan
- Sherrell Faulkner, 46, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Kenne McFadden, 27, San Antonio
- Kendra Marie Adams, 28
- Ava Le’Ray Barrin, 17, Athens, Georgia
- Ebony Morgan, 28, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Tee Tee Dangerfield, 32, Atlanta, Georgia
- Gwynevere River Song, 26, Waxahachie, Texas
- Kiwi Herring, 30, was killed during an altercation with police on August 22
- Pepper K. Aka Phoenix, 33, Columbus, Ohio
- Kashmire Nazier Redd, 28, was fatally stabbed by his partner on September 5
- Derricka Banner, 26, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Scout Schultz, 21, was shot and killed by Georgia Tech campus police on September 16
- Ally Steinfeld, 17, was stabbed to death in Missouri in early September
- Stephanie Montez, 47, Robstown, Texas
- Candace Towns, 30, Macon, Georgia